My apologies for what is a very short notice announcement. I lay blame on my recent camping trip, Book Expo America and Book Blogger Convention in regards to not getting the date publicized earlier. Totally my fault.
The third (can it really be the third time already?!) Bloggiesta is scheduled for June 11th, 12th, and 13th. Mid-year is a great time to evaluate your blog and see how you’re doing. I can’t wait to get re-energized for the rest of the year!
The timing of the January Bloggiesta was very well received. As this event is held every six months, I’ve decided that January’s Bloggiesta will be bigger than the June Bloggiesta. The June Bloggiesta will have fewer mini-challenges and fewer prizes. I also suspect we’ll have fewer participants as the weather is nice outside and we are all vacationing or out playing. BUT that’s not to say that we’re not going to have an awesome time here shortly. Expect great things. Accomplish great things. There will still be awesome mini-challenges and prizes and we’ll still be partying like nobody’s business.
Some of you may be asking what is Bloggiesta? In short, it’s a blogging marathon. A opportunity to cross those nagging items off of your to-do list and improve your blog while in the good company of other awesome bloggers doing the same thing. Break out the nachos, enchiladas, drinks, mariachi music and whack a pinata or two!
What to do during the Bloggiesta?
- Write reviews.
- Write backup posts for a rainy day.
- Write that great post idea from three months back.
- Work on series posts.
- Write guest posts.
- Put out invitations for guest posts.
- Conduct and edit author interviews.
- Create template posts for your future reads (ie: title, images, linking, tags, etc,) so you can open up, write review and post without being bogged down with technicalities
- Clean up your tags, archives, books reviewed list, etc.
- Create a text file (or Google Doc) of cheat sheets (html codes, post url’s, etc)
- Improve your blog template, clean up sidebars, add a favicon, install those plugins that you’ve been meaning to do.
- Any bloggy type housekeeping that you’ve been neglecting.
- Clean up and update your challenge lists. Link up your posts with hosts.
- Make sure all of your social network profiles are up to date. Be consistent in those profiles with color scheme, images, etc.
- Go get a gravatar.
- Visit the Blogging Tips group on the Book Blogs Ning and find ways to improve your blog.
- Work on any specialized projects that you may have going.
- Clean out and organize your feed reader and blog subscriptions.
- Create an elevator pitch.
- Make business cards.
- Find a blogging buddy.
- The sky’s the limit!
How to play:
- The date is Friday, June 11th, Saturday the 12th and Sunday the 13th. You can really start whenever you want within that time but official hours are 8am to 8am (wherever you are). That is a total of 76 hours, the hours spent on the challenge do NOT need to be in a row. Use the entire 76 hour time frame and see what you can do with it. (I say aim for 24 hours but really if you can only do six, twelve or eighteen that’s fine too. I just like to have something to aim for.)
- It’s your call as to how much you want to put into it. But you have to put something into it or it’s not a challenge. So stay up all night or sleep and take care of kids when you need to.
- When you start the challenge, come to this blog and to the “starting line” post and link to your specific post about beginning the challenge which is posted on your blog. That way I’ll be able to track participants and know who’s really at the party.
- How many updates (if any) you want to do is up to you. Make it work for you. Personally, I plan on making a to do list and then crossing off items as I accomplish them. There will be bloggers hosting mini-challenges as well. These are great to learn new information. To get an idea of the mini-challenges last time, check out the list.
- If you are on Twitter, use the hashtag #bloggiesta to join the chatter.
- Your final summary post needs to be posted no later than end of the day Monday, June 14th. Come back to the finish line and link to your specific summary post. Your summary should include the number of hours spent on the challenge, what you accomplished, links to mini-challenge hosts if you completed them and any other experiences you’d like to add.
- THE FIESTA HAS STARTED! GO DIRECT TO THE STARTING LINE POST TO SIGN IN! Sign the Mr. Linky now if you intend to join the challenge. I’d like to get an idea of how many people will be participating. If you blog about the challenge, point them to this post. I’ll have a starting line post on Friday to sign in when you begin the challenge. Don’t forget to subscribe, so you’ll be notified of future bloggiesta posts.
Who can play?
- Anybody! While obviously hosted by a book blogger, I’d love to welcome anybody who has a blog who would like to write content or improve their blog to join in. In addition to adult, kidlit, YA, romance, mystery, historical fiction, non-fiction, and publishing book blogs any other bloggers are welcome. Movie blog? TV blog? Mommy blog? Gardening blog? Photography blog? All are welcome!
Will there be prizes?
What can you do to help?
- Spread the word! The more we have join the challenge, the more moral support we’ll have during the challenge! And lets face it. It’s going to be one awesome party! And if you participated in the Bloggiesta last time and have any feedback for this next time, feel free to let me know.