2009 Abandoned Books – I’m a Guilty Quitter

So . . . these four books aren’t bad.  And I really, really want to say that I fully intend to finish them.  But one of them has been half read for at least the majority of the year and two for at least six months.  I read at least a third or more than half of each.  But I think I need to officially call them abandoned.  At least for now.  Poor things . . . it was good while it lasted.

1. Gym Candy by Carl Deuker
  2. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  3. The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje
  4. The Scent of Sake by Joyce Lebra

I’m not one to abandon books.  But I need to move them off the shelf and try to not feel too guilty about it.  Maybe I’ll retry another year (but just not this year).

1. I hope you decide to revisit The Scent of Sake one day. I really enjoyed that one. But to each his own! I’ve heard The English Patient isn’t an easy read, which is why I’ve been putting it off, but the book is getting pretty dusty on my shelf…

on December 30th, 2009 at 6:31 am
  2. I hope you get back to these books at some point: # Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
    # The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje

I really liked both of these.

on December 30th, 2009 at 7:05 am
  3. I’m a guilty quitter too. I always think about how much work the author put into their work, how they loved their topic, and how they probably felt they were giving birth to the thing. I will still quit reading, but with a heavy heart!

on December 30th, 2009 at 7:13 am
  4. I don’t feel bad about quitting books anymore. I even walk out on movies if I don’t like them. Too many better things to be doing.

Frankenstein was one of my favorite reads this year. If you decide to give it another try, there is an excellent, low cost audio version at The Classic Tales Podcast.

on December 30th, 2009 at 9:46 am
  5. I am shocked, dare I say it, SHOCKED that you didn’t finish The English Patient! :)

on December 30th, 2009 at 9:47 am
  6. I didn’t make it past page 15 of The English Patient…

on December 30th, 2009 at 9:50 am
  7. I never did understand The English Patient. It was painful to read and painful to see in movie form.

on December 30th, 2009 at 10:41 am
  8. I don’t blame you at all on dumping The English Patient I hated the movie so much I wouldn’t go near the book, so I can only imagine the pain involved in the slower version.

I hope to read Frankenstein someday.

on December 30th, 2009 at 11:54 am
  9. Frankenstein is definitely on my “to be read” list someday, but the way things are going I don’t think it will be soon.
    Don’t beat yourself up too much, you’ve read how many other books this year? I think you’re doing pretty good only letting go of four.

on December 30th, 2009 at 11:57 am
  10. Definitely don’t feel guilty. It doesn’t do the book (or the author) any good at all to force yourself to keep on reading a book that you’re just not feeling!

on December 30th, 2009 at 12:04 pm
  11. I gave up on Frankenstein, too. But I loved The English Patient; it does take a while to get into his style.

on December 30th, 2009 at 8:11 pm
  12. Anna – I really enjoyed what I read of The Scent of Sake but I just wasn’t progressing very fast at all. After not picking it up in four months, I decided to try another time.

Serena – I REALLY want to read Frankenstein. It just kept getting put aside.

Sandy – Yep! That’s how I feel.

CB James – There have been some movies that I wish I had walked out of. I will retry Frankenstein. I’m not ready to give up on it yet.

Amy – LOL!

Lenore – I did make it further than that!

Kool-Aid Mom – I watched it when it came out but don’t remember anything about it!

Danielle – Notice how I waited until the end of the year to abandon them? I really had hopes.

Becky – You are right! I need to do better at adapting that attitude.

Lisa – The English Patient was a bit slow but I didn’t mind it. But I just never had a desire to pick it up. Frankenstein I still have hopes for though!

on December 30th, 2009 at 11:51 pm
  13. I forced myself through English Patient … but I abandoned Burnt Shadows. I don’t feel guilty at all for the books I abandoned.

on December 31st, 2009 at 8:41 am
  14. I’m like you, I shouldn’t feel bad abandoning but I do. I always end up suffering through to the end. Kudos for taking the opportunity to move on to books you find more enjoyable.

on December 31st, 2009 at 9:32 am