Quotes from The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

Book Cover: The Alchemist (large)Read my book review of The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho here.  There are a lot of great quotes from The Alchemist, too many in fact, so they deserved their own post.

So here you go:

. . . every blessing ignored becomes a curse.  I don’t want anything else in life.  But you are forcing me to look at wealth and at horizons that I have never known.  Now that I have seen them, and now that I see how immense my possibilities are, I’m going to feel worse than I did before you arrived.  Because I know the things I should be able to accomplish, and I don’t want to do so. – page 58.

When I had my sheep, I was happy, and I made those around me happy.  People saw me coming and welcomed me, he thought.  But now I’m sad and alone.  I’m going to become bitter and distrustful of people because one person betrayed me.  I’m going to hate those who have found their treasure because I never found mine.  And I’m going to hold on to what little I have, because I’m too insignificant to conquer the world.  – page 39.

. . . when each day is the same as the next, it’s because people fail to recognize the good things that happen in their lies every day the sun rises. – page  29.

If you start out by promising what you don’t even have yet, you’ll lose your desire to work toward getting it. – page 26

It’s [your Personal Legend] what you have always wanted to accomplish.  Everyone, when they are young, knows what their Personal Legend is.  At that point in their lives, everything is clear and everything is possible.  They are not afraid to dream, and to yearn for everything they would like to see happen to them in their lives.  But, as time passes, a mysterious force begins to convince them that it will be impossible for them to realize their Personal Legend. – page 22.

If God leads the sheep so well, he will also lead a man. - page 37.

When you know [the Universal Language], it’s easy to understand that someone in the world awaits you, whether it’s in the middle of the desert or in some great city.  And when two such people encounter each other, and their eyes meet, the past and the future become unimportant.  There is only that moment, and the incredible certainty that everything under the sun has been written by one hand only.  It is the hand that evokes love, and creates a twin soul for every person in the world.  Without such love, one’s dreams would have no meaning. – page 98

When a person really desires something, all the universe conspires to help that person realize his dream.  – page 121.

You must understand that love never keeps a man from pursuing his Personal Legend.  If he abandons that pursuit, it’s because it wasn’t true love. – page 126.

One is loved because one is loved.  No reason is needed for loving.  – page 128.

There is only one way to learn . . . It’s through action.  Everything you need to know you have learned through your journey. – page 131

Wherever your heart is, that is where you’ll find your treasure.  – page 128.

Treason is a blow that comes unexpectedly.  If you know your heart well, it will never be able to do that to you.  Because you’ll know its dreams and wishes, and will know how to deal with them  You will never be able to escape from your heart.  So it’s better to listen to what it has to say.  That way, you’ll never have to fear an unanticipated blow. - page 129

People are afraid to pursue their most important dreams, because they feel that they don’t deserve them, or that they’ll be unable to achieve them. – page 130

. . . the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself.  And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams, because every second of the search is a second’s encounter with God and with eternity. – page 130.

When you possess great treasures within you, and try to tell others of them, seldom are you believed. – page 134

Do you have a favorite among them or one that stands out?

Links of interest: Maw Books Alchemist book review, Paulo Coelho website.
Genre: Fiction, Fable
Publisher: HarperCollins. April 25, 2006. (Original publication 1988)
Paperback, 208 pages. ISBN 0061122416
Source copy: Own
The Alchemist is available from your favorite independent bookstore, Powell’s, and Amazon.

1. Wow all of them are so good :) I confess they are even better when hearing Jeremy Irons read them! (I have the audio version lol)

on August 26th, 2008 at 11:45 pm
  2. Hello!

I’m a big fan of Paulo Coelho! You will love this! He’s the first best-selling
    author to be distributing for free his works on his blog:

Have a nice day!

Aart

on August 27th, 2008 at 3:38 am
  3. I always passed on this book so far; something about it just didn’t look attractive to me. But those quotes are great. And I really liked the confession you shared in the last post. I had a dream / goal that got set aside from fears…. maybe I should read this book.

on August 27th, 2008 at 8:00 pm
  4. My favorite out all these quotes is -
    “When a person really desires something, all the universe conspires to help that person realize his dream.” – page 121.
    I amreading this book i school and I love it s far.
    Siena

on January 23rd, 2009 at 10:48 pm
  5. Its a difficult pick. All of them have a depth one has to get into .. the more deeper you think the more you understand. I have read the book once and the quote a plenty of times. I can call this a fav because I dream a lot – the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself. And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams, because every second of the search is a second’s encounter with God and with eternity.

on January 28th, 2009 at 9:51 pm
  6. Marvellous choice of quotes; gives a lot of insights into lives. Difficult to choose the one, however …..the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself….so nice to keep always in daily life

on March 10th, 2009 at 6:08 pm
  7. Some of the page numbers are wrong.

on April 29th, 2009 at 8:25 am
  8. You should include the quote:
    “Once you get into the desert, there’s no going back… and, when you can’t go back, you have to worry only about the best way of moving forward.” Page 97

on May 18th, 2009 at 8:17 pm
  9. “When you want something with all your heart, that’s when you are closest to the Soul of the World. It’s always a positive force.”

What did this mean in the Book??

on May 26th, 2009 at 2:32 am
  10. I personally like this one. ” The darkest hour of night came before the dawn”

on June 13th, 2009 at 11:55 am
  11. I was disappointed you didn’t have the treasures of this world are only for those who seek them. That’s my favorite quote.

on June 14th, 2009 at 11:27 pm
  12. I personally like this quote.“When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too.” I just don’t know where it is in the book I forgot.

on August 6th, 2009 at 10:41 am
  13. We are afraid of losing what we have, whether it’s our life or our possessions and property. But this fear evaporates when we understand that our life stories and the history of the world were written by the same hand”Pg76 That is my favorite Quote….The Book is the best

on August 7th, 2009 at 4:12 am
  14. ”If God leads his sheep so well, he will also lead a man, he thought…”Pg.37
    This quote is cool to me because it just reiterates the fact that God has a plan for everyone. In the bible, the sheep are a metaphor for his people. This shows that fact and repeats it to make a point. God leads with an “invisible hand” and takes care of his “flock” throughout everyday life.

on August 31st, 2009 at 7:18 pm
  15. Don’t think about what you’ve left behind is one that takes some thought but I like it

on October 14th, 2009 at 11:15 pm
  16. @ kyle

The newer and older versions of the book have different page set ups.

on October 14th, 2009 at 11:16 pm
  17. [...] There were a lot of great quotes from The Alchemist. This post has already gotten so long and I’ve picked out so many, I’ll go ahead and do up a second post:  Quotes from The Alchemist. [...]

on February 1st, 2010 at 1:15 am
  18. I have read this book five times, and each time I discover something new about it and about myself. I have suggested The Alchemist to everyone I know, and the majority of the people do enjoy it.

I am a teacher, and every semester class has to read the novel. One of my advice to them is to read it now and to read it five years from now. They will discover something new about themselves. It is a great novel to teach in class.

on February 22nd, 2010 at 10:46 am
  19. “When a person really desires something, all the universe conspires to help that person realize his dream.” I believe in this quote.

on February 22nd, 2010 at 10:50 am
  20. i love the quote of “If you start out by promising what you don’t even have yet, you’ll lose your desire to work toward getting it.” – page 26 because this is true.

on February 23rd, 2010 at 8:23 am
  21. i liked this site because it helped me finish my homework on finding 10 quotes from the alchemist for my personal philosophy project for english

on March 12th, 2010 at 7:57 pm
  22. what page is this quote on “In his pursuit of the dream, he was being constantly subjected to tests of his persistence and courage.”

on April 20th, 2010 at 4:03 pm
  23. Wow!
    Thank you so much for posting this!
    This website helped me on myh English Project
    without cheating!

Thanks so much!

on June 11th, 2010 at 2:29 pm
  24. thank you so much this freakin saved my life in a essay I had to do

on September 19th, 2010 at 5:07 pm
  25. My favorite quote in this book is found not on the story: “The secret to life is to fall seven times then to get up eight times.”
    That one striked me.

on October 20th, 2010 at 4:12 am
  26. [...] truly a masterpiece. Rarely do we come across novels that have simplicity as well as the power to inspire millions of hearts. An alchemist is someone who can transform any metal into gold and this novel [...]

on January 16th, 2011 at 1:51 pm
  27. One of the greatest books ever written. It is in fact a treasure of wisdom and knowledge that fills our hearts with hope and life. This book has changed lives of millions and shall continue transforming many many more in the future. We all are thankful to Paulo for sharing such a great and precious treasure with us.

on January 23rd, 2011 at 10:46 am
  28. The Alchemist Is Very Isnpiring.. I Live On Paolo’s novels!

on January 27th, 2011 at 10:23 am
  29. Everything that happens once can never happen again. But everything that happens twice will surely happen a third time.” i like quote…

on May 4th, 2011 at 4:09 am
  30. i <3 this book

on June 2nd, 2011 at 5:07 pm
  31. Thank you so much for posting this!

on June 6th, 2011 at 3:42 am
  32. [...] threats, Israel’s leaders would be better advised to study Coelho’s masterpiece, The Alchemist, and page 121 in particular: “When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping [...]

on June 25th, 2011 at 5:25 am
  33. [...] threats, Israel’s leaders would be better advised to study Coelho’s masterpiece, The Alchemist, and page 121 in particular: “When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping [...]

on June 25th, 2011 at 1:03 pm
  34. [...] threats, Israel’s leaders would be better advised to study Coelho’s masterpiece, The Alchemist, and page 121 in particular: “When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping [...]

on June 25th, 2011 at 4:26 pm
  35. [...] threats, Israel’s leaders would be better advised to study Coelho’s masterpiece, The Alchemist, and page 121 in particular: “When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping [...]

on June 26th, 2011 at 12:46 pm
  36. [...] threats, Israel’s leaders would be better advised to study Coelho’s masterpiece, The Alchemist, and page 121 in particular: “When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping [...]

on June 28th, 2011 at 11:54 pm
  37. “Your eyes show the strength of your soul” <- My personal favorite!

on September 13th, 2011 at 2:33 pm
  38. My favorite book! My favorite quote from it is “Love is the force that transforms and improves the soul of the world.”

on September 15th, 2011 at 1:20 pm