The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis

A Thousand Splendid SunsWhile browsing some of my favorite blogs, I happened upon a great recommendation at Shelf Elf for a children’s companion book to A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (see my review here). Shelf Elf says, “While mom and dad are reading A Thousand Splendid Suns, the kids should try Deborah Ellis’s novel, The Breadwinner, [it's] as close to Hosseini’s novel as you could get, in a form appropriate and accessible to children. Imagine the conversations that might be had around the dinner table…” Having just read A Thousand Splendid Suns, I was interested in this children’s book.

Book Cover: The Breadwinner (large)In The Breadwinner, eleven year old Parvana lives with her parents and siblings in a one room bombed-out apartment building in Kabul, Afghanistan’s capital city. They didn’t always live there, they used to have a nice home with nice things, and both of her parents were educated with well paying jobs. But now that the Taliban have taken control of the country all of that has changed. Women are no longer allowed to hold jobs, leave the house without being in the company of a man, no part of their body must be seen, they must never be heard, must not laugh, and girls are no longer allowed to attend school. You know the story.

Parvana’s mother and siblings haven’t left their one room apartment for a year and a half. Parvana, still young, accompanies her crippled father to the market each day where they slowly sell off all of their possessions and read and write letters for the illiterate in order to make money. The family is “riding out” the war when Taliban soldiers throw Paravna’s father in prison for having a foreign education. With his whereabouts uncertain, Parvana must now step up and take care of her family as the sole provider. She cuts her hair, dresses as a boy and each day carefully goes out to earn money anyway she can; reading letters, digging up bones at the cemetery, or selling cigarettes off a tray.

With the prospect of marriage for her older sister, everyone in her family except Parvana (how does one explain changing into a boy to extended family members?) travels to another unoccupied town, leaving Parvana with Mrs. Weera who has taken up residency in the apartment. Surprisingly, her father comes home, but when they find out that her departed family is in danger they decide to leave and go find them.

And then the story ends. Just like that. I wanted to know what happened. Did they find them? Was everybody okay? Did they get caught? I wish I knew with certainty the rest of these fictitious characters lives. Perhaps we are not meant to know.  Edited to add: Ha! Thanks to some extra savvy readers, this is a trilogy! I’ve since read and reviewed  Mud City and Parvana’s Journey by Deborah Ellis.

The following video is similar to Parvana’s experience in providing for her family.

The Breadwinner is a great read for children to teach them about Afghanistan, the wars, and the Taliban, and let’s not forget, for adults like me. Thanks Shelf Elf for a great recommendation!

Links of interest: More book blogger reviews. Maw Books reviews of Mud City and Parvana’s Journey by Deborah Ellis.
Genre: Middle Grade Fiction, approx ages 9-12.
Publisher: Groundwood Books. November 10, 2001.
Paperback, 170 pages. ISBN 0888994168
Source copy: Library
The Breadwinner is available from your favorite independent bookstore, Powell’s, and Amazon.

1. Hi, I love your blog!! Thanks for your recent comment on mine. ATSS is on my TBR pile. I read Kite Runner last year and loved it. Not sure I would have my kids read The Breadwinner quite yet (they are 9 and 10). I think it might scare them. Maybe sometime in the near future.

on February 13th, 2008 at 2:31 pm
  2. [...] reviews The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis, Feathers by Jacqueline Woodson, and Jasmine by Bharati [...]

on February 15th, 2008 at 1:05 pm
  3. Lisa – Thanks!! Your kids probably are too young. A Thousand Splendid Suns is amazing. I look forward to reading your review.

on February 18th, 2008 at 9:58 am
  4. Hi! I am 12 years old and i just finished reading the breadwinner. It is a great book but i guess im pretty mature for my age because some kids in my class were laughing at parts. (we did it as a novel study). I have read lot of adult books and i was wondering if i would be able to read A Thousand Splendid suns? It sounds like a really great book. Thanks tons.

Shaeane

on February 18th, 2008 at 4:34 pm
  5. Shaeane – Thanks for visiting, what a lovely name. I’m so glad you read The Breadwinner. I wonder what parts people were laughing at. It certainly wasn’t a book to laugh about. What other “adult” books have you read? A Thousand Splendid Suns may be to heavy for a 12 year old but then again, I’m never one to judge what anyone is capable of. I would suggest having a parent read the book first and then you can discuss whether or not it would be appropriate for you. When I was younger, I was always reading above my level too.

on February 18th, 2008 at 4:47 pm
  6. hi all

I have just finished reading the breadwinner. I thought it was a really good book. I’m just wondering… what time period did this book set in and is the taliban the government of kabul?

on March 8th, 2008 at 8:18 pm
  7. Hi,

What is the main theme of the breadwinner?

on March 8th, 2008 at 8:33 pm
  8. Hey its me again. Guys in my class are just really immature thats why they were laughing at it but in regards to your email, i have read a few other “adult” books. Like, the Da Vinci Code, Outlander and a few others. I talked to my L.A teacher about reading a Thousand Splendid Suns and she said it was a really good book and that i could probably read it if i wanted to. She said im mature enough to read it. Thanks!

Shaeane?

on March 8th, 2008 at 9:01 pm
  9. Winny – Are you writing a book report? The Taliban took control of Kabul (the city where Parvana lives) and most of Afghanistan from 1996-2001.

I would like to hear your thoughts on what you think the theme is.

Shaeane- Glad your back to foster your love of reading. Keep up the great work!

on March 9th, 2008 at 9:02 am
  10. Im not really writing a book report, but I am using symbols to represent stuff for the book report.

on March 10th, 2008 at 1:56 am
  11. About the theme, I am still thinking about it, though I think the main theme is caring because Parvana works so she can earn so money for her family.

Also, thanks for replying earlier :]

on March 10th, 2008 at 1:58 am
  12. I really enjoy reading The Breadwinner, and I can’t wait to read the second book, Parvana’s Journey. At first I don’t want to read this book, but then I like it so much that I can’t stop reading once something exciting happen! My favorite character is Parvana because she is a very smart and courageous girl with a really strong mind. My favorite part was when she was sitting on her mat and a mysterious lady would drop some presents down to her, because I want to find out who the mysterious lady is and what is she going to give Parvana the next day and the next day and the next day. I feel sorry for the women in Kabul, Afganihstan because they aren’t allowed to hold jobs, leave the house without being in the company of a man, no part of their body must be seen, they must never be heard, must not laugh, and they arenot allowed to attend school. I also feel sorry for Parvana and her friend, Shauzia because they have to dig up for up bones in a graveyard and sell them. The author is really smart for doing a sequel, because then we have to buy the second book to know what will happen next. After finishing the first book, I keep wondering if Parvana and her father will get caught, if everyone was ok, and will they find their departed family. If I have to make a book in to a movie I would choose The Breadwinner and bet that it will be 100% a success! I would recommend this to anyone who likes to learn about other people and their life. I would give this a 10/10!

on March 12th, 2008 at 8:54 am
  13. Winny – Parvana certainly does care a great deal for her family and is very unselfish in that she does everything she can to support them. In fact, she in the ONLY one who can support them. Some of my ideas regarding theme is about the will and battle to survive. When the tough gets going the going gets tough. Children all over the world are faced with all kinds of different challenges. Parvana is able to face these challenges head on and overcome her current fears by always looking towards the future. When faced with a life threatening situation, Parvana is able to show wisdom beyond her age.

Pig – Thank you for such a wonderful review!! When I read this book I didn’t even know that there was a sequel. I just found out a couple of weeks ago and I have it ready for me to pick up at our library. I hope to read it and have a review written before the end of the month. This would make a good movie, wouldn’t it?

on March 13th, 2008 at 2:42 pm
  14. To everybody reading this review on The Breadwinner – I know from my statistics that this article is one of the most popular posts I have on my blog. A lot of you are reading it and looking for information. Don’t be scared! Go ahead and leave a comment and join in on our discussion!

on March 13th, 2008 at 2:43 pm
  15. Hi All,

There are actually 3 books to the Breadwinner…. The Mud City, and also Parvana’s Journey. I have all three, but I have not read them yet. I bet they are going to be exciting!

on March 14th, 2008 at 2:32 am
  16. Winny – I didn’t know there were THREE! Thanks for letting me know. I’m putting The Mud City on hold at the library right now.

on March 14th, 2008 at 10:08 am
  17. Hi All,

I have just finished my book report for the Breadwinner. Does anybody know what the kite runner is about??? My L.A. teacher read that book just a few days ago, and she said that it was an excellent book and is quite like the Breadwinner

on March 15th, 2008 at 6:32 am
  18. Winny – I’ve read and reviewed both The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns. Find my reviews by clicking on the links!

on March 15th, 2008 at 9:18 am
  19. Hi I am 13 but I read the breadwinner last year and I found it very desterping how the taliban treated Parvanna her father and her mother. I think My favorite charitar was Parvan not because she is the mane charitor but because she is strong and has a good sence of what is right!

on March 16th, 2008 at 4:13 pm
  20. I am a 6th grade teacher whose class LOVED “The Breadwinner.” I have been trying to locate an Email address or any contact information for Deborah Ellis to see if she will be doing an author apperance near my area. Does anyone know where I might find this information?
    BTW, I am located in Michigan if that helps.
    Thanks in advance :)

on March 26th, 2008 at 5:34 pm
  21. This is the best information I’ve been able to find for Deborah Ellis:

In that article they give this information:
    Author’s Web site: http://www.groundwoodbooks.com/gw_authors.cfm (click on Deborah Ellis)
    How to Contact:
    Address: PO Box 75521, 607 Gerrard Street East, Toronto, ON M4M 1Y2

Hope this helps! I couldn’t find a email or a phone number. I’m sure the publisher could put you in contact with her.

on March 26th, 2008 at 6:07 pm
  22. I so have heard of this book, yet can’t find it.

on April 11th, 2008 at 10:15 am
  23. Hi! I REALLY need to know what the theme, problem, and solution of this book is>please help me….!

on April 21st, 2008 at 4:42 pm
  24. I’m doing a novel study and nedd a bit of help from the experts of the breadwinner

on April 21st, 2008 at 4:43 pm
  25. All i need is the setting(description and significance), the theme(evidence), the plot(problem,solution), and the character descriptions. I’m sorry to bother you, but i REALLY need help, and don’t think I’m just some kid asking for help on her homework…I’m asking you ppl because you are the experts and i belive that if I ask you i will get a lot of help willl will understand books much better. Please help me and I will be ever so pleased!!

on April 21st, 2008 at 5:21 pm
  26. Ashley – Hmm . . . a novel study sounds like homework to me, but I would be glad to help walk you through some of this. Have you read the book yet? I’d like to hear some of your ideas to the questions that you brought up.

The Breadwinner takes place in the capital city of Kabul in Afghanistan while the Taliban were in control. The Taliban enforced very strict laws upon the people of Afghanistan, especially upon woman who were never allowed to be seen or heard. They were not allowed to speak loudly in public, could only leave her house under the chaperon of a male escort, had to wear burqa’s which covered their entire body, and were not allowed to hold jobs or to have an education. Violation of any of these laws meant public flogging or a public execution.

So you could see what kind of predicament this put Parvana, her sister, and mother in when her father was thrown in prison. With their father gone, they were literally prisoners in their own home who could not support themselves. They could not work, they could not leave the house, they had no food and no money. Truly a life and death situation. At this time, Parvana was only eleven years old, still young enough to be able to pass as a boy on the streets. In order to support her family, she cut off all of her hair, dressed in boy’s clothes and took to the streets earning money any way that she could. If she was caught and anybody found out she was really a girl she would be severely punished or even killed. She was very brave and risked her life for her family.

The Breadwinner is a excellent example of how war tears apart families, impacts children, and when children are faced with dire situations they are able to act upon and make decisions that are far beyond what they should have to do at such a young age.

on April 21st, 2008 at 9:05 pm
  27. im reading the book the breadwinner in class for novel study and it seems reeeeeeeeeely good! we r doing a response where we can only read the first page and see what we think will happen. one of the questions is ‘ what is the plot ‘
    and i hav no idea.

so my question is, what is the plot??

on April 26th, 2008 at 1:26 pm
  28. Savannah – A plot is mostly what happened in the book. This includes the mood, characters, setting, and conflicts occurring in a story.

on April 27th, 2008 at 9:15 pm
  29. I LOVE UR BOOK

on May 5th, 2008 at 7:05 pm
  30. U ROCK

on May 5th, 2008 at 7:51 pm
  31. This is a really great book!
    I have still one question though…
    why is the bokk name The Breadwinner?
    Does Parvan win bread??
    So confusing!!
    But I really like the book, despite the confusing title.
    YOU ROCK DEBORAH ELLIS!!

on May 14th, 2008 at 4:50 pm
  32. the breadwinner was a pretty awesome book, im doing my English end of year project on it and i was just wondering, why do u think that someone would want to read the breadwinner?
    its a question, and im getting the opinions of others.

on May 25th, 2008 at 11:17 am
  33. Jenna – The book is names The Breadwinner not because she wins bread. Rather the term, “breadwinner” is what people are called who earn the money for the family. In other words, through their job, they earn money, so they can buy the bread. Thus, the term “breadwinner.” So if your father is the one who makes the most money, he’s called “the breadwinner” or if it’s your mom, she’s “the breadwinner.” The book is called The Breadwinner because she’s the only one in her family who is earning the money.

Gabby – I think someone would want to read The Breadwinner so that they can learn about what the experiences of women and children are like living in Afghanistan.

on May 27th, 2008 at 10:30 pm
  34. Thanks natasha for all your help!!
    My class just finished reading the breadwinner yesterday!!!!!!
    it was SUCH A GREAT BOOK!! i really loved it!
    and you know how you said if i found out the questions to my book? after reading the book, i found out thawell i did!
    i really didnt need to ask you at all..
    the answers to my questions were all in there!!
    i figured out that the theme was supporting your family because throughtour most of the book, parvana did all she can to support her family(she worked for them, bought food,etc)
    i figured out that the setting was the war in afghanistan during probably 1999-2001
    i am very glad our teacher chose this book for our class because i had a great time reading it!
    oh and did u know that there is a seqeul to this book?? its actually a triology…
    first–the breadwinner
    second–parvan’s journey
    third–mud city
    i’ve read parvana’s journey and it was soooo good hat i couldnt put the book down..i kept on reading until i finshed it and i reccomend anyone who liked the breadwinner to read the seqeul
    DEBORAH ELLIS IS A GREAT AUTHOR!!!!

on June 9th, 2008 at 5:43 pm
  35. Hi my class is reading it and all of grade 6 loves it and we want to know if a movie was made of Parvana because the cover is a photo?
    By

on July 4th, 2008 at 3:03 am
  36. Ashley – Awesome!!! I’m so glad that you enjoyed it! I did know it was a trilogy. In fact I’ve reviewed all three books on my blog. I hope you continue to like it.

Sophie – No, it’s not a movie. It would be a good one though. I’m glad your class enjoyed it!

on July 7th, 2008 at 12:03 am
  37. hi all

the bread winner is a good book
    i could read the translation in Marathi,

looking forward to reAd ATSS
    .regards
    have already read the Kite runner..

on July 7th, 2008 at 7:34 am
  38. Santosh – I hope you enjoy A Thousand Splendid Suns. I think it’s even better than The Kite Runner.

on July 13th, 2008 at 9:46 pm
  39. i hated this book. it was way too scary even for my parents !!!!!

on August 13th, 2008 at 7:09 pm
  40. I love you book I’m reading it with my class I can’t wait to find out what happens in the rest of the book.I’ve been telling it to my niece and she loves it and she’s not even reading the book.
    Love,
    P.J.

on September 6th, 2008 at 4:29 pm
  41. If you want to know the sequal, it is called

Parvana’s Journey, you can get it on Amazon.com for about 4$ (plus 3 dollar shipping)

on October 1st, 2008 at 6:22 pm
  42. Hey, i’m reading The Breadwinner in my school right now. It’s a great book and i’m really curious what’s going to happen next but don’t tell me… I like surprises! Sorry to disturb you it’s just so good I need to comment. Have to do my homework now (related to The Breadwinner)so enjoy life and bye!!

on October 27th, 2008 at 2:51 pm
  43. I’ve been reading The Breadwinner with my 6th graders for a couple of years now, and it’s always a crowd favorite. As a suggestion to anyone who would like a video that complements the book I suggest “Osama”. It was the first film created in Afghanistan after the expulsion of the Taliban. I dont show the the entire film because it’s not all relevant, but I find that it does give my students a better visual understanding of the book.

on October 30th, 2008 at 7:49 am
  44. We have a very strong sonic wall at our school that blocks websites that are deemed “unsuitable” by category. Since we have a class that just finished reading “The Breadwinner,” I ran across your blog and am testing to see if I will be allowed to comment on the blog from here. Here goes!

on November 3rd, 2008 at 12:10 pm
  45. Ms. Mac – Your comment went to SPAM (from my filter – nothing that I can tell from your end). Anways, I have received your comment! I hope your class enjoyed The Breadwinner. I’ve read the entire series and have loved it. Most kids have enjoyed it as well.

on November 3rd, 2008 at 6:10 pm
  46. this video is sad… i’m reading the breadwinner right now and it is one of the bestest book ever! I enjoy this book a lot..

on November 16th, 2008 at 6:04 pm
  47. [...] have fallen in love with Deborah Ellis this year.  I loved The Breadwinner, Parvana’s Journey, and Mud City, which I read earlier this year about children in [...]

on November 25th, 2008 at 11:45 pm
  48. I think this book is really awsome, it is very deap and stirs up all my emtions. I really felt as if i was in Parvana’s possision, and i could really see i hard times were back when the Taileban ruled.

P.S. i’m a really bad speller don’t mind my mistakes.

on December 3rd, 2008 at 2:57 pm
  49. this book was just peachy… it was good, but the ending left me with sadness. i can only assume that they didnt survive. there are good books, and bad books. this isnt really one of the other. it was just… peachy

on January 9th, 2009 at 1:45 pm
  50. In the story, Breadwinner, Parvana, was a very confident person. If I had been going through the same things she did. I would have cried MORE than she did. I would have been whining alot more thyan she did. Thankfully, I’m the oldest sister. So I wouldn’t have a sister like Nooria. Ever since, I’ve read this book, I have VOWED myself to do something I’ve never though about. I will be raising lot’s of MONEY for Afghanistan. I will be raising money for all those you need it. I will adopt and will bring them to the U nited States, if possible. Also, I never really thought what Afganistan was going through, until NOW. Please help these people around the world. I WILL DO THIS WHEN I GROW UP!!!

on January 12th, 2009 at 8:56 pm
  51. Hi i’m 17 year old i read 2 book the kite runner and Breadwinner. after i read that i was very sad about those 2 book i read. i feel realy bad. it sad when seperate from your family. that all i want to write.

on January 16th, 2009 at 12:26 pm
  52. hi
    i have just finish reading the book and at
    first i didn’t know it was going to be really
    good.

on January 20th, 2009 at 11:48 am
  53. Hi! My 6th grade class is reading the book. I think it is really amazing how someone our age has the courage to go out and work and do all that she did. Most of us live very confortable lives and usually take for granted all that our parents give us and do for us. We take for granted all the liberty and security we might have in our different countries. I just think it is a book everyone should read because it makes you think so much about the choices we make and the wonderful lives we have.

on February 9th, 2009 at 5:55 pm
  54. Hi,
    I Thought The Breadwinner Was An Awful Book Because She Did Not Describe Scenes Well At All , It Was Just Event After Event. Also There Was To Much Speach And Not Enough Narative. My Whole Class Hated This Book And I Thought The Ending Was Poor Aswell , Though You Are All Entitled To Your Opinion. So If You Like It Then Thats Good For You, I Can Defenetely Say That I will Not Be Reading The Next Two Books. Though This Could Of Been A Good Book , Because It Was About A Good Subject Matter. There Need To Be More GOOD Books About This Sort Of Thing.
    Thankyou For Your Time And I Hope You Can See My Point Of Veiw.
    Anna x

on February 14th, 2009 at 12:24 pm
  55. why the taliban people are doing like that I don’t like the taliban people because the taliban are killing the peoples

on March 24th, 2009 at 11:54 am
  56. Thank you everybody for taking the time to leave your thoughts and comments about The Breadwinner. I appreciate them and keep them coming!

on March 24th, 2009 at 10:28 pm
  57. I have read the Breadwinner and many of Deborah Ellis’ books.
    As a teacher I have presented them both as read alouds and as novel studies to my classes.
    I’m truly impressed with how far Ellis is prepared to go to research her books.
    She really makes these stories come alive for me.

on May 24th, 2009 at 5:12 pm
  58. Hi!
    I am reading The Breadwinner for summer reading and I am supposed to take notes so we can discuss it when school starts. I am doing great so far but I am having a lot of trouble figuring out the theme. Could somebody tell me what the theme is? Thanks!

Alexis

on August 1st, 2009 at 6:34 am
  59. There is also a book called Shauzia (is this mud city?). In Australia the book is called Parvana. Whatwould you say the main themes of Parva are? War, survival etc? x

on September 1st, 2009 at 7:29 pm
  60. As a person who isnt a big fan of reading i love this book, I hardly ever read a book more than once but with this book, i have read it three times, it is an excellent book. I have one question, in the other books do you ever find out who the woman in the window who leaves presents for Parvana is ?!?!

on October 18th, 2009 at 7:39 pm
  61. k just one thing…WHAT IS THE MOTHERS NAME IN THE BOOK!!!!!

on October 22nd, 2009 at 7:28 pm
  62. Emma – I don’t believe that we find out who the woman is in the other books.

Graham – The mother actually remains nameless.

on October 22nd, 2009 at 7:37 pm
  63. The mother’s name is Fantana. they said that in book 1.
    Whats the theme????
    I NEED TO KNOW XDDDDDDDDDD

on October 26th, 2009 at 6:05 pm
  64. hi i have been resding this wonderful book with my class and they all seem to like it wath about you?

on October 29th, 2009 at 5:31 pm
  65. Hi I am doing a book report that requires symbols from the book and i was just wondering if any of you have an idea for a few symbols.. Well get back to me as soon as possible thanks a lot.

on January 10th, 2010 at 4:01 pm
  66. Oh and I was also wondering what kind of theme I should put on my bookreport because its visual and i need some kind of a title page. So if and of you experts have an idea please get back to me on that too, thanks..

p.s may you please leave an explenation on why these pictures/ symbols refer to The Breadwinner

on January 10th, 2010 at 4:10 pm
  67. I have a quick question, My child has to do a grade 6 project on the book “The Breadwinner” knowing this i have read the book. He either has to create a diorama in a shoebox, of his favorite part of the book. He is looking to do a scene about the bone digging, along with this he has to quote a passage from the book, relating to that scene. ANY ideas?? Also he can choose to make a keepsake box consisting of 15 items mentioned in the Novel. This seems like it would be the easier of the 2 , MAYBE..where would one find such objects? Any help would be great ..Thanks

on January 24th, 2010 at 8:05 pm
  68. I just finished the breadwinner. I had to read it for the battle of the books. I loved the book. It taught me a lot about what it is like i Afghanistan. I hope to read more books like it.

on April 12th, 2010 at 6:29 pm
  69. ¿Does anybody know any place to read the breadwinner on line for free? thank you

on April 15th, 2010 at 1:51 pm
  70. I just finished reading the Breadwinner and I thought it was amazing! I can’t wait to read the seconed book. I really enjoy reading your books and I hope that I will get to finish the trilogy on the Breadwinner soon.

on May 3rd, 2010 at 7:32 pm
  71. [...] of interest: More book blogger reviews.  Deborah Ellis books also reviewed by Maw Books: The Breadwinner, Mud City, Parvana’s Journey, Lunch with Lenin and Other Stories, The Heaven Shop. Genre:  [...]

on August 29th, 2010 at 11:55 pm
  72. [...] of interest: More book blogger reviews.  Deborah Ellis books also reviewed by Maw Books: The Breadwinner, Mud City, Parvana’s Journey, Lunch with Lenin and Other Stories, The Heaven Shop. Genre:  [...]

on September 1st, 2010 at 6:05 am
  73. They are making the breadwinner into a movie
    In social stdies we read this and made our own poster, reviews, iMovie film movie preview.
    It was fun
    I thought it was a good book

on October 13th, 2010 at 7:01 pm
  74. hi i am just reading your book and it is the best book i have ever read and i love the story

on October 26th, 2010 at 5:41 pm
  75. “The bread winner” is a great book, I just finished it last week, and whats really cool is that I am from Afghanistan too. My friend told me about it and it seemed like she really enjoyed it! I am on the second book now,called “Parvana’s Journey.” I’m looking forward to reading the third book,”Mud city!” The author should make a fourth book and fifth, LOL! Where can I watch the movie????

on November 30th, 2010 at 3:40 pm
  76. IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII hate breadwinner its gay

on November 30th, 2010 at 6:56 pm
  77. Hey. Had to read this book for a project. I would make it more exciting or just generally better. The kids in my class did not like it, thought it was boring. I thought it was okay. My class is 14. I did enjoy parts, I did not like the ending though. And I didn’t like how short it was.

on January 24th, 2011 at 6:51 pm
  78. hi, i have to do a progect on it can sombody
    help me give me two important conflicts thx

on February 5th, 2011 at 5:46 pm
  79. flke u u are pisting me off ugh

on February 5th, 2011 at 5:56 pm
  80. flke u u are pisting me off ugh u bicth get the flke out of here u are making it discrase

on February 5th, 2011 at 5:57 pm
  81. I am doing a book report on The Breadwinner at school, and i was wondering what her hobbies were? Also if you had to draw a picture of Parvana without any chador or turban or anything, what would it look like? I really love the books. Thanks.

on April 11th, 2011 at 9:19 pm
  82. Does parvanas mother ever die? Does her dad? Does her 2 sisters and her brother die?

on May 17th, 2011 at 1:06 pm
  83. I am doing a project and the question is what 6 objects are important to Parvana…and I don’t know…can someone help me threw it and tell me an explanation!!!!
    LOVE THE BOOK!!!!!!!

on May 17th, 2011 at 6:04 pm
  84. I NEED HELP!!!!!!!! Where can i find a FREE online copy of this book. Not only should it be FREE but it has to be a FULL online version. AND I DONT WANT A SUMMARY!!!!!!! please help me! i looked everywhere> i even googled it like 5 times

on May 17th, 2011 at 7:54 pm
  85. all i know is that parvanas mom doesnt die, her dad dies, her sisters dont die and her brother doesnt die, only the dad dies

on May 18th, 2011 at 2:26 pm
  86. Hi this is really strange but I read this book with schoo and we had to write an epilouge and this is what my mind came up with……
    Parvana stepped out of the truck and raised her arms to stretch. The ride to Mazar-e-Sharif had taken what seemed like forever. Now they were at the refugee camp and walking along the dusty street. The city is made out of mud. Where was she? Parvana wondered. Back in Kabul the houses were bigger and less crowded. But in Mazar-e-Sharif the houses were full of complete strangers. Parvana wished now more then ever that she was back home living her old life. In school and next to Shauzia. She wanted a normal life, but inside behind all of the want and need, she knew if she wanted to find her mother, she would need to stay here with father.

Later on that night, after Parvana and her father ate supper, they went for another walk. They talked. For once, after what had seemed like forever, Parvana felt safe, She felt like everthing that happend in Kabul didn’t even exist. As they walked along the streets Parvana noticed that there wasn’t very much ruble along the streets. She wondered what Noma was talking about. “Parvana!” Someone yelled from behind her. She turned around to see a women and two children running towards her. It was Mother, Maryam and Ali. ”Mother!” Parvana screamed. “I thoght you were dead!” Parvana said. “What would have ever given you that idea?” her mother asked. Parvana could feel her eyes begin to burn with tears. She looked up and said “A young women I found in a building had told me that Mazar-e-Sharif was worst off then Kabul…..Where is Nooria, Mother?” Parvana asked. Mother fell into Father’s arms sobbing. Maryam and Ali ran over too Parvana and grabbed hold to her leg. They also began to cry. Mother slowly lifted her head and looked into Father’s eyes. “She’s dead. Nooria is dead. She was walking along the trail in the park along with her fiance, getiing to know more about him and then a bomb dropped only a few feet away. The explosion was what killed them.” “Oh, Fatana.” Father said.

on May 19th, 2011 at 2:26 pm
  87. I need to write a essay about how caracther from the book affect comunity for my English exam and i found this website it doesn’t help much but it make me glad to know that so many people love this book.

-Heather
    your epilouge is so realistic that i though it is a quote from the author’s new book! great job.

on May 22nd, 2011 at 8:12 am
  88. I need to write a essay about how caracthers from the book affect comunity for my English exam and i found this website it doesn’t help much but it make me glad to know that so many people love this book.

-Heather

on May 22nd, 2011 at 8:16 am
  89. Hey, I am 12 years old and just finished a novel study on the breadwinner. I have also read Parvana’s journey and a thousand splendid suns. You could say I read a little above my age group. I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for my next book? :)

on May 29th, 2011 at 8:44 am
  90. Hey, i hate reading so would you kindly just tell me what this dumb book is about already? K thanks BYE . <3, Buddaa Buddaa

on June 19th, 2011 at 7:20 pm
  91. -Sarah
    The next book you should read is called “Mud City”. It is the third book of “The Breadwinner” trilogy.

on August 17th, 2011 at 5:55 pm